Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Oh The Places You'll Go

Cancer will take a family and those that know them on a roller coaster like no other. Some days will be smooth sailing, other days you just wish it would end with as little pain as possible. Hard days and heart aches tend to take over the good times and positive memories. Then it comes to an abrupt stop. The words "I'm sorry" vs "you're in remission" are like hell vs heaven. I've never had cancer. I can only speak from a family members perspective on more than one cancer experience. I've had a few end in smiles and a few end in tears. The tears are what caused me to start this blog.

I already mentioned the loss of my grandpa to Multiple Myeloma. Almost 6 years later, it still hurts, especially this time of year. Today would've been his 75th birthday, Thanksgiving was always a special time with a small family dinner and the Jazz playing in the background, and Christmas was always one full of long lasting memories. Last year I also decided after losing my husbands cousin to another non-curable cancer (Gall Bladder/Bile Duct), I was tired of sitting on the side lines and doing nothing in the fight against this disease that affects nearly everyone at some time in their life.

I signed up to take part in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Salt Lake, I was the captain of Team N.U.T.S. at the Relay for Life in Ogden and was able to raise over $2000 with the help of my team, and now I have started this blog with the dream of making it something big. What's "big" to me? Awareness, fundraisers, making a difference in the lives of those dealing with cancer. Nothing to major lol.

When I started Ice Cream for Pop-pop with my family, I thought it would just be a fun way to remember my grandpa. This year I thought "what if ice cream could help others affected by cancer?" This is a thought that has kept me up at night (along with my kids lol). For now we have this blog, some cancer support and information sites, as well as some blogs that I have followed for a little while of others affected by cancer. Some of those blogs have happy endings and some don't; but they all have one thing in common - they need our support in the fight against cancer.

So for now, I thank you for coming and checking this blog out. Regardless of your cancer fight, remember to celebrate life.

No comments:

Post a Comment