Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why I Celebrate Life with Ice Cream


It's been almost 6 years since I lost my grandpa (Pop-Pop Topper) to Multiple Myeloma. Multiple Myeloma is cancer of the plasma cells, which are a type of white blood cells that produce antibodies. There is no cure for Multiple Myeloma.

Last year, after missing my grandpa more and more every year, I decided that on November 15th (his birthday), I was going to celebrate his life with ice cream. Ice cream was his favorite desert, and even though his diet after being diagnosed told him he shouldn't have it, it was the one thing he wouldn't give up. Banana Splits, Klondike bars, or good old fashioned vanilla ice cream with pie; his love for ice cream and the memories that surround it will forever be a part of our lives. Hopefully with this tradition, those memories and new ones will be passed on for generations to come.

Happy birthday Pop-pop! Today we celebrate and remember the life you lived, the memories you gave us, and your love or ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment