Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ice Cream for Pop-pop {11/15/10}

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Digital slideshow generated with Smilebox


Ice Cream Memories:
Shelby's ice cream memory: Every Christmas and Thanksgiving at Pop-pop and Dayna's, Dayna would make apple pie and vanilla icecream would go on top. :) Pop-pop was ALWAYS first on the list for his warm apple pie and cold vanilla icecream on top :)

Patti's ice cream memory: Remember that time in Baltimore us kids and our kids followed him like the pied piper to the nearest snowcone stand. We got there and the darn machine was broken. One look at all our disappointed faces and Dad stepped up and fixed the machine. Snowcones for everyone! Sigh - my Hero. Remembering - Rootbeer floats at The A & W after sunday Mass.

Jessica's ice cream memory: I love how he let me eat ice cream before dinner. ♥

Terri's ice cream memory: we were in MD walking down around the block to get our snowcones like we did many other years and we turn the corner.... No snowcones. The grandkids were disappointed but leave it to Pop to have a Plan B. "Oh thank heaven for 7-11" miss you dad and all of your Plan B's.

Carolyn ice cream memory: After working late on Friday nights (at the A&P), Dad would stop by my house with ice cream and all the toppings for a sundae. My Mother would wait up so she could have a bowl too.

Michael's ice cream memory: I cant say as my most vivid memory of dad and ice cream is a fond one. But, it is the one that got me addicted to the yummy creamy wonderfulness we eat in his honor today. As a child, as most of you know, mom and dad allowed the military to treat me like a lab rat. Many visits to Walter Reed hospital for various treatments to try to cure what they assumed was epilepsy. Which they did, or said they did. Many yrs later, mom thinks that that may not be what I actually had, so who knows what I got treated for and cured of. LOL After all these visits of brain scans and needles and drugs I was always takeout for ice cream afterward. And hence, the viscous cycle started. I have since taken my kids out for ice cream after every Dr visit.

Danny's ice cream memory: Dad and ice cream...wow. Gotta say my favorite memory with that is my mom making me and him root beer floats and me taking his to Dad and than eating them together. Or the few times we went to Farr's after a Raptors game. Or stopping at the Oaks while driving down the Canyon and getting some ice cream.

Added Memory Tidbits:
Mom {Terri} was thinking the same thing- As dad's cancer progressed, he was supposed to cut back on dairy. Come Thanksgiving we cut the pie, and i asked, does this mean you don't want icecream on top?? And he quietly said (i think so dayna couldn't hear him), " well of course. .I just can't have two scoops.. I'll take one."

Michael: I didn't recall there was a specific time for visiting A&W but do remember going. Also remembered the small 'shot glass' size glasses they would give away. Had such fond memories about A&W when we moved to Carson City I was STOKED to see they had one. Went the very next morning and was totally disappointed in the food, but then dug into the float on the way home and OHhhhh YEAH!!! LOL Never ATE there again. Had a few floats there.

No comments:

Post a Comment